Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Thunderbird - A Brief Review

I have three emails that are pop3 protocol. 


I was using them with Windows Live 2011 on Vista. It is an older protocol but I like the idea of saving the emails to the hard drive where they can be backed up simply and can be used as files when you need to.

These are not good days for Vista and older versions of Windows Live.

The computer would freeze or run very slowly. Downloading the emails seemed to take forever at times. Some times for no reason I could figure it just would not start. I have several years of saved emails I can not replace so trashing things and using nothing but web-based emails like gmail and Yahoo was not an option.

I did also want something I could use on both Windows and Linux. 

I did start looking at Linux because it is something I was almost totally ignorant about.

I found one in particular, Sylpheed.

I tried it out and the setup was surprisingly simple. Best part was it sent and received emails when I tested it. Even better, it has a Windows version and is free.

Then the gong.

No HTML mail. Text only. I really like to look at the graphics and color in some emails. Text only has its place but it was not for me.

Another possibility was a program from Mozilla called Thunderbird

I was really trying to avoid this one because I had some bad setup experiences in the past.

It was available through Lubuntu Software Center, the version of Linux I use. That is good because it greatly simplifies setup. All went very well so there were probably updates to the software since I last tried it.

There was no problem entering incoming and outgoing servers or the ports.

It was pretty much automatic. Just go along with the suggestions.

The test emails went back and forth just like they should. There is also the capability to show HTML mail with all the pretty pictures.

The Windows installation went just as smoothly.

The only concern I had was that it wanted to install itself as the default email which would displace Windows Live. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. It all worked out.

I have all three emails on each machine and they are really working well.

There are a few things I do not feel quite right about. 

Contacts is probably the one thing I am not too keen on. It just seems crude to me.

All in all, this is a very well designed piece of software.

It is easy to setup and easy to customize the setup where it may need it.

Let me know what you think.








Post a Comment