Tuesday, August 16, 2016

My Beta Blocker Experience

One of the meds I take is called a beta blocker. It blocks the use of adrenaline by the body.


This is just the thing for a person who has had heart surgery. 

It relaxes the heart and blood vessels. It reduces high blood pressure. It is also a stress reliever. You do lose the fight or flight response of the body.

This can be a good thing as well because stress is dangerous to your heart when it is too severe or long lasting.

It is not a medication that just zeros in on a specific part of the body.  

The effects are body wide and involve anything depending on blood flow. Sex is one of these.

Side effects also can include sweating, fatigue and related things.

The loss of fight or flight responses is a two edged sword.  

You just do not get mad over everyday things. It is not chemically possible as long as your adrenaline is blocked. I have been admired for my patience in certain things. I am not saying that anger can not occur it is just that you will not get the racing heartbeat and elevated blood pressure that prepares you for battle or escape.

It can make it a little interesting getting things done.  

There is no normal stress to move you on.

You can not fly a plane or work stressful jobs because you just do not have the reactions needed to do the work. Could you imagine a cop who could not respond to the type of things they have thrown at them regularly.

A concern of mine is a lack of motivation. 

I do things I know I have to do day to day.  I do not know if I am missing the drive necessary to do a lot of things I wish I could do.

It is an interesting situation.  

The pill saves your life. However it may also take a good part of it away. Nothing is too obvious or simple in life.

It could be an interesting subject for a comment.


Post a Comment