Saturday, August 20, 2016

Bothersome Changes

Generally it is the small changes we have to make that seem to create the most
aggravation

I use FIOS and you have to dial 10 digits. No "1" at the start, just ten digits for all calls.

It is hard to describe how worrisome this change seemed before I had to actually use it. I was never going to be able to remember all those numbers.

It seems so silly now but during the buildup to the switch I was really concerned.

Not too many people today remember the previous number we used like LIncoln-1068 or UNiversity-8467 but we survived not having words or names to remind us of the first two digits.

Ten digits seems natural now.

It is actually simpler dialing anywhere in the country now and with my plan the cost is the same. All I have to do is dial 617 as the first three numbers rather than 716 and it is simple as a local call.

It is a little aggravating every now and then getting wrong numbers from places like Seattle, WA but I guess that is the price you have to pay.

In a way it is being pulled out of your comfort zone.

You had gotten comfortable where you were and any change at all creates an unsettled feeling.

Getting rid of nuisances like party lines and trying to explain to an operator what you really mean is really progress in my book.

Forget the loss of telephone books. There are other ways to deal with it

Some comments would be appreciated.

Post a Comment