Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Visitor at Lunchtime

When I opened the front door today at lunchtime I heard sort of flopping sound coming from the kitchen.

I live alone so my first thought was that this may present a problem. I couldn't imagine what happened. Could it be something fell off of a shelf just as I walked in?

So I gathered up my courage and I walked in and as I approached the kitchen something went flying past me into the living room. Whoops! This is not right! It was a pretty good sized bird.

I went back in the living room and the bird went back in the kitchen. Again I went into the kitchen and bird went into to the dining room this time. I took a few seconds to think this over and decided to open the side door so the bird could get out. No luck, the bird would not go downstairs. There was a snow shovel by the side door that I grabbed thinking maybe I could scare the bird out the door. Poor thing was so panic stricken by this jerk running into his living room with a snow shovel that it would not listen to reason.

I did open the front door and locked the storm door open. I then headed into the kitchen again with my trusty shovel.

The bird headed back into the living room and spotted the open front door. It never slowed down as it flew in a straight line away from the house.

It looked sort of like a starling or even a small crow but it could have been a soot covered anything.

I had my chimney repaired a couple of years ago but forgot to get a screen to cover it. The bird may have become dizzy and fallen into the chimney and gotten into the heat ducts somehow. There was a loose register grating it could have gone through to get into the house. I am just guessing but this seems to make sense.
Post a Comment