Friday, October 22, 2010

Computer Problem - It Broke

I really wondered about the reasonableness of running cat 5 cable through the walls to network to an old XP machine I had acquired and had placed downstairs.

Also when I got a new printer I decided for some reason to attach it directly to the network rather than putting it on my Vista computer as a regular printer.

Boy am I coming out smelling like roses though. My Vista machine has suddenly decided to not turn on. This probably will mean some shop time and a definite problem, at least in the short run, of getting things done.

But Blogger works on my downstairs computer and so do my email programs. It is a little inconvenient because I can not access the files on the hard disk but I am not shut down completely. Life is definitely not grim at the moment.

It has also made me seriously consider ways of avoiding the problems I am having - none of which are critical but really are inconvenient. If there was a need, my backups are on the internet and everything important is available.
Post a Comment