Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Lot of Work for TV

I am not much of a TV watcher. There are days when I do not even turn the thing on.

That said, when I do watch it I do want it to work properly. Since the digital conversion I have had quite a few new stations with the converter box us off the air types had to get. I even spent some of my Amazon gift card money on a real high tech flat antenna.

With the old rabbit ears from the good old days I got a few mostly snowy stations and would have to turn the antenna to get good pictures on different stations. Very frustrating because getting near to or touching the antenna would change things so you would have to jigger it around a little and then move away to see if it really was any better.

The only problem was some of the digital stations would break up occasionally and I would get a message that the signal was weak and I should adjust the antenna. How? It was as high as I could get it.

Today I went to Home Depot and bought a 50 ft coax antenna cable. I drilled a hole in the livingroom floor to the basement and drilled a hole in the attic floor and fished the the wire up through the walls from the basement. I was on a mission...

After about ten trips up and down the stairs (the attic is the third floor) I hooked everything up, put all the tools away, cleaned things up and sat on the couch and did a channel scan.

Nothing - not one channel.

My analytical mind said that this is not what I wanted.

I got out my tools again and tightened all the connections. Still nothing. Very disturbing.

Got desperate. I had to use a female to female connector so I could connect the male ends of the antenna wire and the coax. They came in a package of two so I decided to try the other one.

As all good stories go, I am living happily ever after. 13 channels and no interference so far.

Might even watch a little TV some day if I can make up my mind what to watch.

Was it a defective connector? Did I missalign something? Bad kharma? Who cares - it works and I can give myself credit for accomplishing something. It was a successful Sunday - even if the Buffalo Bills lost.
Post a Comment