Sunday, February 1, 2009

Doing a Windows Backup

I decided this morning that it was time to do another full backup of my computer.

My last full backup was last November 11 and I have just been doing incremental backups every week since. It's automatic every Sunday morning so I never think about it. I just back up to DVD discs.

I use the Windows backup program that came with the computer. I just want something to fall back on if worse comes to worse.

One of the things I used to do back when I was working, in the nineties, was to make tape backups of two of the networks I worked on. You can not believe the sense of relief that someone has when you can recover a file that was somehow damaged or lost.

Probably the best way to do backups would be to a virtual drive on the Internet. That way you wouldn't have to worry about switching discs. For now though I am just making do with the DVD's. It took three discs for the last full backup and then I had two more for the weekly incremental backups.

The only trouble with this setup is the amount of time it takes. The first disc of this new full backup took about an hour and 1/2 to make. I started at 11:30 this morning. The program did write the second and third disks much faster and said it was finished around 2:15 in the afternoon.

At least I can still use the computer while the program runs. Someday, maybe, I will actually buy a program that does this a little more efficiently. You don't notice how slow it really is when the incremental backups are made at 4:00 AM automatically.
Post a Comment