Sunday, July 13, 2008

Spam and Blogs and School

I don't just delete my spam, I usually try to find some time to look through it, because sometimes stuff I actually want gets dumped into spam by the program.

I came across one e-mail that did grab my attention. It told you that all you had to do is put a simple search word into a box and this program will go through either Google or Yahoo or government records or whatever and write a whole article for you. You can either cite references or not and if you needed another article for your blog or newsletter or school report, you could generate another one from the same search word with different references. You don't even have to have a clue about what you are writing about -- and that is a sales point.

Instead of spending a week trying to figure out what to write about and how to express it, you can be generating three or four unique articles a day and overwhelm your readership with your brilliance. Of course you don't have to know anything about what you are writing but that doesn't matter, does it?

Google or Yahoo can then index your valuable information, giving it added weight even though it is only a regurgitation of other entries. As a treat you can get yourself a high mark in school without knowing anything.

Discussions of plagiarism -- although this is high-tech and automated -- are not for me to get into.

When I went to high school, if a student didn't feel like reading an assigned book or thought they didn't have enough time, they could go out and purchase a comic book about the assignment and try to get by by looking at the pictures, I suppose. There were also condensed versions of books. Teachers, especially experienced ones, could pick this sort of thing up fairly easily. It's going to be interesting seeing how they deal with something like this. If there is one program like this there are probably many.

Am I really me or am I a robot just pumping out words?
Post a Comment