Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Far Away Thoughts

I was going through my e-mails and came across one from military.com. I get this because I enjoy reading about the latest things in the military. I got curious and started going through the files inside. There is a space for your military record, which of course I had left blank, because I was just interested in getting the information. I figured why not? I even pulled out my old DD 214 to find the right dates and filled in the information. That was a long time ago -- 1964 to 1966.

There also was a space for a unit affiliation. Once again, why not? So I looked up my old unit, the 54th Signal Battalion and there it was. It still exists. So I entered my name and my years in the unit -- 1965 to 1966. There are about 280 others who had done the same thing as I had. I didn't recognize any of the names though. I did see a couple of small history entries mentioning. Nha Trang and some other familiar things. Boy, talk about memories.

In the summer of 1965 the 54th Signal left Fort Hood in Texas, on trains for California. In Oakland, we boarded the USS Breckinridge, a troopship. We stopped at Pearl Harbor and Yokohama Japan in what was a very smooth trip. We landed at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam. We then got in our trucks and drove to our new home in Nha Trang.

Later, my platoon moved back to the vicinity of Cam Ranh Bay, and I spent the rest of my time in Vietnam there. We provided communications for Korean Marines. It was actually interesting for the most part.

For me personally, it was a good experience. I got to see things I never would have seen outside of magazines. I was as safe as could be with a couple thousand Korean Marines around. The parts of the country that I got to see were for the most part, beautiful. I even got extremely lucky and spent a week in Bangkok Thailand.

Post a Comment